Monday, June 22, 2009

Martinis, Warm Toes, And Learning Experiences

I finished the double-knit dishcloth. I have to say, I'm rather proud of how the martini motif turned out. In fact The Cowboy said of it "its Zionist and alcoholic. could you have made it any more awesome? I think not." Additionally, another friend asked if it was a flask holder, which gives me very good ideas :) My only gripe with this potholder undertaking is that all three of them came out different sizes and I probably should have paid more attention to that before I did them all. Oh well.

Also, I HAVE MADE SOCKS!!! I knit them top-down with instructions from Getting Started Knitting Socks and I have to tell you, knitting socks is not NEARLY as scary as people think it is. The one thing I messed up on is that on the first sock I decreased every row on the heel gusset (which you're not supposed to do) and on the second sock I properly followed the directions and decreased one round, then knit one round plain. Because of this, the second sock is noticeably longer than the first. Oops. Also, I think next time around I would make them a bit narrower, I cast on 56 stitches for the 6 stitches per inch pattern but they're a bit too wide. Also, the toes are a little wonky because I don't really know how to do the Kitchener stitch, which I bumbled around with on the first one, and on the second one I did a three-needle bind-off. Wonky toes, and weird lengths but at least I finally got over that fear of socks and now I'll have very toasty toes in the winter when I can't afford heating :-P Here's the first sock, the red line is to show the decreases. And here's the second sock with the red line to show the decreases. See how it's much longer and shallower?
And finally, I was at my parents' house for the weekend for many a-reasons including; my little sister just got home from a year in Israel, my grandparent's were visiting and time to get new cell phones! So I knit a little cozy for my LG Glance.
Cute, no?


























No comments:

Post a Comment