Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Yes Sir, Yes Sir, Three Bags Full

Ok, I'm in Binghamton and now I've finally got a little bit of time to sit down and blog. The Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival was AMAZING. Mom, The Wench and I went together, in the rain, and the cold, and had an awesome time. Mom isn't even a knitter and she really enjoyed it also. There were so many cool vendors with fiber ranging from right off of the sheep to cleaned and carded to already spun into yarn. There were so many different types of fiber also, different sheep, alpaca, one guy even had yak wool, which I discovered is surprisingly soft. The Wench and I did end up meeting two Stitch-N-Kvetch'ers, Leesy and Knitmammy who were both really nice. We also had a chance to go to the Ravelry meet-up where we got buttons and met Jess, Casey, Mary-Heather and Ysolda Teague! They're also very nice. There were so many different sheep around so it was really interesting to see the different types.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a bunch of pictures for you guys :)
Baa-Baa Black Sheep Mom and The Wench I think this one needs a barrette, or a haircut. Baby Alpacas Mary-Heather and Casey! Me and Jess! Leesy, Knitmammy, Me and The Wench This is a Jacob Sheep. They're called that because in the bible when Jacob worked out a deal with Lavan he got the speckled and spotted sheep. The Wench with her unspun Jacob Sheep wool. The Wench and I in the rain. It poured all day. Mom ended up with a sinus infection :( None of us brought proper rain gear. We all thought "its a festival and festivals mean sun! It'll clear up when we get there!" Clearly we're a bit delusional. All the pretty buttons I got.
My four ounces of undyed Merino Wool. I plan to dye it (wait for blog posting about that) and spin it. This is actually the only fiber I bought. There was SO MUCH stuff there I couldn't make a whole lot of decisions (and I'm a poor grad student). Next year hopefully will be a bit nicer and I'll get some more stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment