So after asking around on Ravelry I tried my hand at dyeing with Kool-Aid today. I didnt do it on my merino and instead bought a skein of Patons Wool and divided that up into two and tried it on that. I used a hot pour method that was described in Knitty. It didn't get all of the yarn like I hoped it would but it still looks cool. I'm going to do the merino tomorrow in reds and orange. I hope it comes out nice. Here is the pictorial documentation of my dyeing experience.
All the Kool-Aid I bought, the yarn and a turkey baster. Half the skein of yarn (about 50g) in the crock-pot. Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonade, Lemon-Lime, and Lemonade all poured in the crock-pot. The Results. Grape and Pink Lemonade. I tried putting the dye in with the turkey baster to make it more even. The Results (and this I wound into a bigger loop).As of now, my merino is soaking in a vinegar and water bath. I have mixed up Orange, Black Cherry and Strawberry Kool-Aid that I'm going to use for a cold pour dye tomorrow on it. Stay tuned for results!