Monday, January 19, 2009

The Plight of the Double-Knit Hat (Part I)


Every year since my boyfriend and I started dating I have made him a hat to wear for the winter (This is in order to avoid the curse of the boyfriend sweater). Inevitably he's lost all of them except for the first one that I made, which was too small anyway. This year I decided on a double-knit hat from the book AntiCraft: Knitting, Beading and Stitching for the Slightly Sinister by Renee Rigdon and Zabet Stewart. So I got a nice black wool and some Noro Kureyon (read: really pretty and not cheap yarn) and new needles to make this. I also wanted to make this bigger since the pattern says it is 19" in circumference and my boyfriend's giant melon head is a bit over 23" in circumference. I used bigger needles, I cast on extra stitches and I didn't check my gauge. Clearly I am an IDIOT. About halfway through the chart I stopped to check my gauge. It was HUGE. So huge that my friend who has a 36C chest put it around her like a tube top and it fell down. And so, I took a deep breath and very carefully frogged the whole thing.

(Story will be continued in Part II later this week)

No comments:

Post a Comment