Monday, September 7, 2009

If I Knit Fast Enough, Does It Count As Aerobics?

Oh dear, lets see, what's been going on? Well, I have everything I need for my swap-ee. I'm really excited to send it out. Of course, I'm also really excited to see what I get when my package arrives. I also have AWESOME's hat, the boyfriend's hat, my WW buddy's mittens and the fiber phallus all packaged up as well. Going to be lots of fun paying for all of this stuff to get sent. But, since you all are so wonderful I'll give you one last sneak peek at the last knitted thing for my swap-ee. Nice, right?
I want to rant for a moment about the plight of the slouchy hat. I found this pattern and showed it to Alphabet-Girl who really liked it. So, me being the type of person who likes to make stuff for friends I started knitting it out of some grey Lion-Brand Wool-Ease that I had. First I did it on size 7 needles and it was huge, like "I'm a Rastafarian that's been wearing dreadlocks for the past 20 years" type of huge. So I frogged it. Then I did it on size 5 needles. Finished it, but I still felt it was too big, so in the vain hope that I could get it to shrink I threw it in the wash (on uber hot) and the dryer (have I mentioned how much I like having a free washer and dryer now? Moving home isn't all bad) and do you know what happened? It stretched out. This is what it looks like.
So then I cast on AGAIN with the size 5 needles but instead of the recommended 101 stitches I did 79. I'm really hoping that this time it will turn out the way I want it. I want it to be a nice, cute slouchy hat, not a giant snood. You cant blame me though, the pattern isn't really written that well. It's not like it says anything about what kind of yarn to use or anything. AND to top it all off when I was making the flower petals I made the first two wrong. I saved that though, I sewed them together and stuffed them with catnip. Now they're a cute cat toy.
Lets see, what else? Oh yes, my mom got Craftcycle from the library and in it they have a garlic dryer made of raffia. If you don't know what raffia is, (I certainly didn't) it's a ribbon looking thing that comes from the raffia palm tree. Anyway, mom bought some raffia and had me make a little basket for her out of it. This way the garlic in our house will be in one spot instead of floating around on the counters.
By way of yarn-ey goodness I just bought two skeins of Serenity Sock Yarn
and three skeins of Vanna's Choice Glamour.
I have to say, thank goodness for celebrities and their yarn lines, I was seriously afraid I was I was going to have to shell out serious moolah (that I don't have) for black yarn with a bit of shiny in it for a shawl for my mom for Chanukah. Now I don't! Don't judge me, I'm poor and acrylic is soft. Maybe when I can afford to, I'll be a yarn snob, until then, Bring On the Plastic!
Oh, and I dyed another skein of Patons wool today. Pictures will be up later this week. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment